Cite as "AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 11110366 (posted Nov. 3, 2011)"
On October 20, 2011, USCIS's Ombudsman's Office hosted its First Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., which brought together more than 300 participants and stakeholders to discuss the common goal of improving the delivery of immigration and citizenship services.
Invitation to Ombudsman First Annual Conference PDF (related resource)
The conference included the following PowerPoint presentations:
- Presentation on the SAVE Program and ID Verification Systems (DIVS) -- A PowerPoint presentation on the Driver's license and ID Verification Systems (DIVS), which includes an overview, scope of the program, progress, and recommendations (AILA Doc. No. 11110233).
- Presentation on Demystifying the Visa Queues -- A PowerPoint presentation addressing trends in the Visa Bulletin for both employment and family-based categories, including priority dates, retrogression, and future movement of the cut-off dates (AILA Doc. No. 11110232).
- Challenges and Practice Tips on Waivers of Inadmissibility -- A PowerPoint presentation describing current standards and processes for the adjudication of waivers of inadmissibility, including the legal requirements, as well as challenges and tips for practitioners (AILA Doc. No. 11110231).
- DHS Presentation on I-601 Waivers of Inadmissibility -- A DHS PowerPoint presentation addressing immigrant waiver issues, such as legal limitations, problems with the current process, and the variability of extreme hardship and discretion in adjudication (AILA Doc. No. 11110230).
- Presentation on Unlocking the Mystery of Other Serious Harm -- A PowerPoint presentation reviewing the mechanics of other serious harm (OSH) analysis, case law examples of OSH, and the keys to applying OSH analysis (AILA Doc. No. 11110266).
- Hot Topics in Asylum Presentation on Particular Social Group -- A PowerPoint presentation covering key developments in asylum law involving particular social group determinations, including recent case law and regulatory developments focused on gender and juvenile issues (AILA Doc. No. 11110265).
- DHS Presentation on Improving Docket Efficiency and the Roles of USCIS, ICE, and EOIR -- A DHS PowerPoint presentation covering issues related to EOIR docket efficiency, and attempts to resolve the problems of high-volume caseloads through inter-agency partnerships (AILA Doc. No. 11110264).