AILA’s state and local resource guide provides a roadmap to help policymakers and advocates steer through the policy minefields created by the recent proliferation of immigration-related state and local ordinances. Download the Guide
, or visit www.aila.org/stateguide
for more information.
News & Updates
For a more detailed overview of how these issues are being played out in states across the country, please see AILA’s recently released state and local resource guide: Navigating the Immigration Debate - A Guide for State & Local Policymakers and Advocates.
- State Immigration-related Laws and Resolutions Enacted January-June 2011 (8/10/2011)
Report by the National Conference of State Legislatures listing immigration-related laws and resolutions enacted from January 1-June 30, 2011. The report catalogues by state 151 laws and 95 resolutions passed by 40 state legislatures. AILA Doc. No. 11081068.
AILA Doc. No. 11081068.
- Anti-Immigrant Bill Blocked by Texas Senate (5/27/2011)
On 5/24/11, Senate Democrats voted along party lines to keep HB 12, a controversial Arizona-style bill, from moving to the floor. HB 12 would allow officers to inquire about the immigration status of a person arrested or detained for the investigation of a criminal offense. AILA Doc. No. 11052720.
AILA Doc. No. 11052720.
- AILA Verification & Documentation Committee Summary of State Employer Sanctions Laws and Proposals (3/19/10)(334 KB - 3/23/2010)
Tony Weigel, on behalf of AILA’s Verification and Documentation Committee, compiled a summary of state employer sanctions laws and proposals. AILA Doc. No. 10032362.
AILA Doc. No. 10032362.
- Problems Facing the First Generation of Local Immigration Laws (8/18/2009)
Article from the Hofstra Law Review reviewing the first generation of enacted local immigration laws. It covers the financial, legal and community-related problems encountered as well as the implications for local immigration enforcement. AILA Doc. No. 09081862.
AILA Doc. No. 09081862.
- NCSL Report on Immigration Related State Legislation (January-June 2009) (8/4/2009)
The National Council for State Legislatures (NCSL) released a 2009 mid-year report on state legislation related to immigration. Identification/driver's licenses, health and education are the areas in which the most laws were enacted. AILA Doc. No. 09080464. AILA Doc. No. 09080464.
AILA Doc. No. 09080464.
- NCSL Report on State Laws Related to Immigration for the First Quarter of 2009 (4/23/2009)
On 4/23/09 the National Conference of State Legislatures Immigration Policy Project released a 2009 first-quarter report on state laws related to immigrants and immigration as of 3/31/09. AILA Doc. No. 09042341.
AILA Doc. No. 09042341.
- NJ Blue Ribbon Panel on Immigration Policy Recommends Integration (3/31/2009)
At a 3/30/09 press conference, New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine announced the results of a Blue Ribbon Panel on Immigration Policy study that recommends immigrant integration into the state's culture and workforce to enhance the state's economic competitiveness. AILA Doc. No. 09033162.
AILA Doc. No. 09033162.
- NCSL Summary of State Studies on Fiscal Impact of Immigrants (3/23/2009)
The Immigration Policy Project of the National Conference for State Legislatures released a summary of state studies on the fiscal impact of immigrants. The data reflects the contributions made by foreign nationals to state coffers. AILA Doc. No. 09032364.
AILA Doc. No. 09032364.
- NCSL Final Report on State Laws Related to Immigration in 2008 (1/30/2009)
On 1/29/09 the National Conference of State Legislatures released its final report on state laws related to immigrants and immigration throughout 2008. AILA Doc. No. 09013061.
AILA Doc. No. 09013061.
- Letter to Missouri AG Underscores Issues with Measures Regarding Unauthorized Workers(5477 KB - 8/12/2009)
A letter from AILA’s Missouri/Kansas Chapter to the Missouri AG addresses the Orders of Rulemaking regarding unauthorized workers. The letter highlights issues that need attention before the state moves forward with the enforcement of measures set fourth in the state’s House Bill 1549 regarding unauthorized alien workers, as amended by House Bill 390. AILA Doc. No. 09081230.
AILA Doc. No. 09081230.