DOS Posts Web Notice About I-130 Petitions

Cite as "AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 07020861 (posted Feb. 8, 2007)"

The notice below was posted on Travel.State.Gov:

Filing I-130 for an Immediate Relative to Immigrate to the United States

All Petitions Must Now be Filed with USCIS

Important Notice:

Recent legislation has led to changes in the procedures American citizens resident abroad will follow if they wish to sponsor an immediate relative (spouse, parent or minor child) for an immigrant visa. Effective immediately, the immediate relative petition (I-130) must be filed with the USCIS office responsible for the petitioner's place of residence (that is, the place of residence of the American citizen who is filing the petition). Consular offices at U.S. embassies and consulates are no longer authorized to accept I-130s, although they will continue to provide guidance to American citizen petitioners and their family members. Responsibility for acceptance and approval of immigrant visa petitions rests solely with USCIS. American citizens with a U.S. address should submit their I-130 at the CIS office responsible for their place of residence. As soon as we have more information about the filing of new I-130 petitions, we will post it.

This procedural change may result in a processing delay for some applicants. The Department of State recognizes and sincerely regrets the inconvenience this may cause.

Copyright © 1993–2014, American Immigration Lawyers Association.
Suite 300, 1331 G Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005
Copyright & Reprint Policy
Contact Us