Cite as "AILA InfoNet Doc. No. 10082463 (posted Aug. 24, 2010)"
For more information:
Terri Hale, 515-283-8858,
Judges name Washington, DC firm as one of "The Principal 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security"
(Des Moines, Iowa) - The American Immigration Lawyers Association, (AILA), based in Washington, DC., is one of only 10 growing organizations earning national acclaim for maintaining its commitment to offer employees extraordinary benefits, despite a challenging economy.
An independent judging panel of employee benefits experts named American Immigration Lawyers Association as one of the 2010 winners of The Principal® 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security, citing their extraordinary efforts to avoid cutting benefits.
"American Immigration Lawyers Association faces the same challenges as other organizations. What makes them extraordinary is the priority they place on employee financial security," said Luke Vandermillen, vice president at The Principal Financial Group ®. "American Immigration Lawyers Association asked their staff for money saving ideas and was able to maintain all their benefits. They understand the direct connection between strong benefits, a strong workforce and a strong bottom line - in the best and worst of times."
The Principal ® sponsors the national program, which is now in its ninth year. It honors growing companies for their commitment to their employees' financial security.
"The 100 percent employer-paid medical insurance premium for employees was one of the reasons we chose American Immigration Lawyers Association, as well as the fact that they pay 80 percent of eligible part-time employees' premiums. Over the last two years, they also negotiated a zero increase in their health insurance-you rarely see that in these difficult times," said Deborah Hall-Pope, 10 Best judge, chief Human Resources and Organizational Services Officer, ASCD-winner of The Principal 10 Best Companies--2009
American Immigration Lawyers Association has 49 employees. It is a national association for attorneys who practice and teach immigration law. The organization maintained benefits by enlisting employees' help in reducing expenses.
"It's a terrific honor to be selected as one of The Principal 10 Best Companies," said Theresa Waters, Senior Director, HR and Administration. "We believe in investing in the welfare of our employees, especially in these difficult times. Employee benefits are really one of the last things we look at in terms of cost saving adjustments."
Howard McMillan, III and Jeff LeClair, Financial Advisors of Wells Fargo Advisors, LLC consult with American Immigration Lawyers Association on its employee 401(k) program.
Jack Gocke, Vice President of Wells Fargo Insurance Services USA, consults with the American Immigration Lawyers Association on its employee benefit programs.
A summary of best practices from American Immigration Lawyers Association and other winners will be published and available in January 2010 at www.principal.com/10best.
The 2010 Winners
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA), Washington, DC
- Clif Bar & Company, Berkeley Calif.
- Davidson Technologies, Inc., Huntsville, Ala.
- Farmers Mutual Insurance Company of Nebraska, Lincoln, Neb.
- Franklin International, Columbus, Ohio
- Red River Credit Union of Texarkana, Texas
- RLI, Peoria, Ill.
- The Bolles School, Jacksonville, Fla.
- The Delp Company, Maumee, Ohio
- The Graham Company, Philadelphia, Pa.
To learn more about the winners and the judging process, visit www.principal.com/10best.
About American Immigration Lawyers Association, www.aila.org
Founded in 1946, The American Immigration Lawyers Association is the national association of immigration lawyers established to advocate for fair and reasonable immigration law and policy, advance the quality of immigration and nationality law and practice and enhance the professional development of its members. With 49 employees, AILA is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that provides services to its members through its 36 chapters and over 50 national committees.
Benefit highlights include:
- 100 percent employer-paid medical insurance premiums for employees; 50 percent - 75 percent employer-paid medical insurance premiums for dependents
- 80 percent of employer-paid medical premiums for retirees eligible part-time employees
- 401(k) plan with a 50 percent employer match up to 6 percent of pay; average employee deferral of 7 percent
- 457(b) plan with average employee deferral of 6.6 percent
- Profit sharing plan with 3 percent discretionary contribution in 2009
- 100 percent employer-paid premiums for short- and long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance
- The American Immigration Council (AIC) also participates in AILA employee benefit programs
About The Principal 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security
The Principal 10 Best Companies for Employee Financial Security is a national program that recognizes small- and medium- size companies that excel at giving their employees a financial edge. Entrants must:
- Have between five and 1,000 employees
- Be based in the United States
- Have provided a broad range of employee benefits for at least five years
- Offer traditional employee benefits such as retirement and health, life and/or disability insurance
No entry fee is required. Companies owned by employees of The Principal are not eligible to enter. For more information, visit www.principal.com/10best.
About the Principal Financial Group
The Principal Financial Group (The Principal ®) is a leader in offering businesses, individuals and institutional clients a wide range of financial products and services, including retirement and investment services, life and health insurance, and banking through its diverse family of financial services companies. A member of the Fortune 500, the Principal Financial Group has $284.7 billion in assets under management and serves some 18.9 million customers worldwide from offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America and the United States. Principal Financial Group, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol PFG. For more information, visit www.principal.com.