Includes AILA's and other organizations.
- Our Liberty and Freedoms Today: Statement by AILA (11/16/2001)
Statement of the AILA following September 11, 2001.
AILA Doc. No. 01111659.
- Anti-Terrorism Legislation Passed (10/26/2001)
Anti-terrorism legislation that includes fundamental changes to our nation’s immigration law has passed the House and Senate and is about to be signed into law. AILA is concerned that implementation of the new law preserve the important balance between security and liberties.
AILA Doc. No. 01102659.
- AILA Statement on the Tragic Events of September 11, 2001 (9/17/2001)
The American Immigration Lawyers Association stands with our fellow Americans of all races, religions and national origins in expressing our shock and abhorrence at the horrific events of September 11, 2001.
AILA Doc. No. 01091759.
- AILA Welcome Approval of James Ziglar as INS Commissioner (8/1/2001)
The American Immigration Lawyers Association today welcomes the approval by the Senate of James Ziglar to head the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
AILA Doc. No. 01080159.
- House Passes Limited Section 245(i) Extension with Additional Restrictions (5/23/2001)
The House on May 21 passed a limited extension of Section 245(i) by a vote of 336-43. H.R. 1885 would extend the Section 245(i) deadline for only four months, while also requiring beneficiaries to demonstrate that the required familial or employment relationship existed on or before April 30, 2001.
AILA Doc. No. 28me1012.
- Federal Court Rules in Favor of Immigrant Investors (5/23/2001)
AILA press release on Chang v. U.S., where a federal court ruled that INS may not automatically apply new rules retroactively to certain immigrant investors. Rather, the INS must allow investors a chance to prove that retroactive application of the new rules would hurt them.
AILA Doc. No. 01052380.
- The President and Congress Need to Act on Important Immigration Issues (4/30/2001)
The American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) today released letters to President Bush and Congress, calling on both to take action on vital immigration issues.
AILA Doc. No. 01043059.
- AILA Press Release on Introduction of Secret Evidence Repeal Legislation (3/29/2001)
AILA announces support for measure that would bar the use of secret evidence in immigration cases. The bill was introduced by Reps. David Bonoir (D-MI) and Bob Barr (R-GA), among others.
AILA Doc. No. 01032959.
- AILA Welcomes President Bush's Inaugural Address (1/25/2001)
AILA welcomes President Bush's inaugural address and looks forward to working with him on immigration issues.
AILA Doc. No. 01012559.