|Live Event Date: 01/20/2023
Two years into the Biden Administration, immigration law practitioners face positive new developments in key areas but are still impeded by persistent challenges. Join us at the Fairmont El San Juan in San Juan, Puerto Rico for the 2023 AILA Midwinter Conference and Webcast to learn about new developments in the law that can benefit your clients, ways to overcome the remaining obstacles, and what may still lie on the horizon. Its dual tracks— Advanced Family/Removal and Advanced Business—will provide you with information and tools to best advocate on your clients’ behalf. Come prepare for what's next.
All registrants receive:
- Digital Handbook
- Conference Recordings
|AILA Members' Paralegal*
|AILA Law Student Members
|AILA Nonprofit Members
|Nonmember Law Students
|AILA Members' Paralegal*
|AILA Law Student Members
|AILA Nonprofit Members
|Nonmember Law Students
You can register for this event quickly and securely online by adding this item to your cart before the deadline and paying by credit card. We encourage you to take advantage of the Early Bird Registration and register by December 22, 2022.
Once you register online, the registration system will auto-generate a receipt to your paid registration.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Information and Protocols
AILA no longer requires proof of vaccination status to attend the AILA in-person conferences, meetings, or events. Mask-wearing is optional, at the discretion of each attendee. Please act responsibly and with consideration for the health and safety of others. For more information, please read the full protocols at: https://www.aila.org/conferences/in-person.
By registering for and attending the conference, you voluntarily agree to the following terms and conditions:
- To assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
- To accept primary responsibility for taking steps to protect yourself from contracting COVID-19.
- To follow all federal/state/local public health and government guidelines on COVID-19 health and safety in effect at the time of the conference, as directed by AILA.
- To fully comply with any health, safety, and other policies instituted by AILA and the venue while attending the conference, including any modifications and/or enhancements of health and safety protocols.
- To pay for all costs and expenses if you contract COVID-19 or test positive for COVID-19 prior to or while at the conference, including but not limited to costs related to a mandatory or voluntary quarantine (hotel, food and beverage), medical care, transportation to and from a medical facility or hospital, and changes in travel plans.
- Hotel, food & beverage, and conference services may be modified or curtailed at any time if necessary or appropriate to meet COVID-19 health and safety practices, mandates, or recommendations, as determined by AILA or the venue.
- These COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols are subject to change without prior notice, in AILA’s sole discretion. If you do not abide by these Protocols, including the terms and conditions of attendance in effect at the time of the conference (as determined in AILA’s sole discretion), you will not be permitted to enter the conference and participate in person, or (if the conference has started) you will be refused further admission; and your registration will be transferred to the webcast option (if available). If there is no webcast, your conference registration will be canceled.
- AILA reserves the right to cancel your conference registration (including speakers and exhibitors) at any time and for any reason, and provide you with the applicable refund, in its sole discretion. If cancellation is for your failure to abide by these Protocols, including these terms and conditions of attendance, you will receive no refund.
- Under no circumstances shall AILA, its officers, directors, employees, and contractors be liable to you (or anyone claiming through you) for any injury, damages, claims, liabilities, costs, expenses, or other loss of any kind (including death), arising in any manner from COVID-19 or otherwise arising from your travel to/from, attendance at, or participation in, the conference.
- AILA has no responsibility for any injury, damages, claims, liabilities, costs, expenses, or other loss of any kind (including death) arising in any manner from an event organized by an AILA chapter, affiliate, or other person or entity occurring prior to, during, or after the conference. You assume all risks from attendance at such events.
- You agree that this Assumption of Risk & Agreement does not supersede or limit any applicable law limiting or barring the liability of AILA, its officers, directors, employees, and/or contractors from any claims related to COVID-19.
The webcast option for participation in the conference will be available to those choosing not to attend in person, and those who cannot abide by the Assumption of Risk & Agreement terms above. Those participating by webcast are responsible for providing their own computer and other equipment used to access the conference, and to pay for connectivity. Webcast participants also assume the risk of computer and Internet malfunctions and connection problems.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Full and partial tuition assistance will be offered for AILA National Conferences and Seminars based on need and availability. Please complete the tuition assistance application for consideration.
All paralegals must first create a paralegal account on AILA.org and complete the AILA member paralegal verification process in order to register for AILA products and services. Non-member paralegals are not eligible to register. Paralegals cannot register for AILA conferences until the verification process is complete.
AILA’s Meeting Code of Conduct:
AILA is committed to providing a professional and productive learning environment for all participants and staff. As a result, all participants are expected to follow all stated meeting and event instructions and guidelines in order to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism, mutual respect, and collegiality. AILA members in particular are expected to adhere to the principles set forth in AILA’s civility code. The guidelines herein apply to all AILA in-person, virtual, webcast and online programming including but not limited to AILA conferences, seminars, online courses, and roundtables. All participants must comply with the following guidelines to participate in the meetings and events:
- All participants are expected to maintain a professional and civil discourse throughout AILA’s in-person/virtual meeting and event space. Participants are prohibited from using any defamatory, abusive, profane, discriminatory, harassing, threatening, and/or offensive language during the sessions or events including but not limited to Q&A, chat rooms or any activity that takes place in the virtual space.
- All participants must comply with the instructions of the moderators and/or any event staff.
- Disruption of sessions, events or any activity that takes place in-person or in virtual space is prohibited.
- Presentations, postings, and messages should not contain promotional materials, special offers, job offers, product announcements, or solicitation for services unless preapproved by AILA. AILA reserves the right to remove any such communications that have not been preapproved.
- Participants may not record, transmit, copy, or take screen shots of any sessions or events including but not limited to Q&A, chat rooms or any activity that takes place in the event space without prior approval from AILA. Participants who do not comply or are in violation of any of AILA’s meeting guidelines may be denied further access and participation at the discretion of event organizers. AILA is not responsible for reimbursement or refund if you are denied access or participation due to violation of AILA’s Meeting Code of Conduct.
Participants can contact email@example.com with any questions or concerns related to AILA’s Meeting Code of Conduct.
All registrations and reservations are subject to approval. Registrations and reservations received without payment will be returned. Registrations are NOT transferable and cannot be split among conference attendees. Cancellations must be received by the cancellation deadline date in writing to be eligible for the full refund (less $50 processing fee). Exceptions to the cancellation deadline will be made for emergencies and valid medical issues submitted with supporting documentation. Any and all liability of AILA with respect to registration, reservations, cancellations, changes in the location or content of the program, and refunds is limited to a sum no greater than the registration fee paid. Under no circumstances shall AILA be liable for incidental or consequential damages of any kind, including, but not limited to, the cost of transportation or lodging. Submission of registration and payment constitutes acceptance of the terms and conditions herein.
Attendance at in-person, virtual, webcast and online programming including but not limited to AILA conferences, seminars, online courses, and roundtables is solely restricted to AILA members and their employees, government employees, and nonmember attorneys. Non-attorney attendance is limited to the employees of AILA members in good standing, to HR professionals who have an AILA member reference, employees of accredited educational institutions providing support to international student and scholar services at their employing institutions, and accredited representatives under 8 CFR §292.2. AILA will reject conference registrations from persons who provide representation without authorization in violation of 8 CFR §292.1, such as for-profit "immigration consultants" and "notarios."
Attendance Reporting on webCLE
You must sign in and timely submit attendance using webCLE in order to receive CLE credits. The total number of credits available for AILA events is determined by state bodies and may vary by jurisdiction.
Use of Photographic Images
Registration and attendance at the AILA conferences and events constitute an agreement by the registrant to the use and distribution of the registrant's image, voice, and/or electronic communication in photographs, video recordings, electronic reproductions and video/audio recordings of such events by AILA. Your registration may include technology that monitors your activities throughout the meeting, such as session attendance and booths visited.
AILA will provide ADA assistance if requested. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your special needs at the time of conference registration. Assistance may not be available if an adequate notice period is not provided.
Live Conference CLE Credit
AILA will file for CLE credits in appropriate jurisdictions. Eligible participants can receive up to 8.4 total credits including 1.2 elimination of bias credit in 50-minute jurisdictions and up to 7 total credits including 1 elimination of bias credit 60-minute jurisdictions. To receive CLE credit, attorneys must record sessions attended and CLE codes provided at each session via webCLE. Live attendance must be recorded by Friday, January 27, 2023. This deadline does not apply to the download format.
Please Note: CLE credits not reported on webCLE by the published deadline will be subject to an administrative late fee to cover incurred costs.
On-Demand Conference CLE Credit
AILA will administer CLE credit to individuals who download this recording through Agora only; the invoice is used as a form of CLE verification.
AILA has filed for MCLE and specialized credit in appropriate jurisdictions. To receive CLE credit, attorneys must record session attendance and the CLE codes provided via webCLE. Eligible participants can receive up to 16.8 total credits including 1.2 elimination of bias credit in 50-minute jurisdictions and up to 14 total credits including 1 elimination of bias in 60-minute jurisdictions.
Please note that your jurisdiction may limit the number of OnDemand credits that may be applied in a compliance period and may also limit OnDemand credits based on the date of the original presentation. Please be aware of your state's expiration dates for OnDemand credits, please view the OnDemand Expiration Chart for more details or confirm with your state's bar association.
Not eligible for CLE credit in the following states: MO and PR.
The Conference will take place at the:
Fairmont El San Juan Hotel
6063 Isla Verde Avenue
Carolina, Puerto Rico 00979
AILA Room Rate:
$449 Run of House
$499 Ocean View
Above group rates are for single/double occupancy, 21% resort fee, $1.00/pp per night housekeeping fee, $7.00/pp one time bellman fee, plus applicable taxes. No charge for children under 18 years sharing the same room as the parents. Maximum of 4 persons per room. Starting with the 3rd person at 18 years of age or older, each extra person will be charged a $50 per night. One night’s deposit will be charged to your credit card at the time of the reservation. Please cancel 72 hours prior to the arrival date to get the deposit refunded.
Make a Reservation
By phone: 1-787-791-1000 option 1 (ask for AILA group rate)
Hotel Cut-off Date: December 14, 2022
Hotel reservations are made on a first-come, first-served basis. Rooms at the AILA rate will sell out before the deadline, so we advise you to make your reservation as early as possible. AILA will not be able to get additional rooms at the AILA rate after the AILA block of rooms fills up.
The specially discounted AILA group rate has been contracted for room nights reserved from January 18, 2022 through January 23, 2023 only. The AILA group rate is not guaranteed for any other dates and will be based on availability.
Lodging Options Near AILA Conference Hotel, Fairmont El San Juan*
*AILA does not have a group rate at the properties listed below. Room rates and availability listed below are as of 12/13/22 and subject to change anytime. Please check cancellation policy for each property before reserving your stay.
1. Royal Sonesta San Juan (.3 miles from Fairmont hotel, 7-minute walk)
$202/night - city view, $308/night - Ocean view
2. Residence Inn San Juan Isla Verde (.12 miles from Fairmont hotel, 3-minute walk)
$324/night - Studio King, $354/1 - bedroom suite
3. Hampton Inn & Suites San Juan (.16 miles from Fairmont hotel, 3-minute walk)
$293/night - 1 King, $301/night - 1 King Suite
4. Embassy Suites (.4 miles from Fairmont hotel, 9-minute walk)
$338/night - 1 King, $356/night - 1 King Pool view
5. Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verde Beach Resort (.6 miles from Fairmont hotel, 13-minute walk)
$384/night - 1 King, $427/night - 1 King Ocean view
6. TRYP by Wyndham Isla Verde (.6 miles from Fairmont hotel 13-minute walk)
$322/night - 1 King
Cancellations received by December 22, 2022, entitle registrants to a full refund (less $50 processing fee). Cancellation requests will not be accepted after December 22, 2022, but the conference materials will be made available to all registrants in their AILA Digital Libraries. Exceptions to the cancellation deadline will be made for emergencies and valid medical issues submitted with supporting documentation. All cancellations must be submitted by email to email@example.com.