USCIS Final Rule on Employment Authorization for Asylum Applicants
USCIS final rule making multiple changes to the regulations governing asylum applications and eligibility for employment authorization based on a pending asylum application. The rule is effective 8/25/20. The final rule implements the proposed rule published at 84 FR 62374 on 11/14/19, with some amendments based on public comments received. A summary of changes made by the rule can be found in Table 4 beginning on page 38598. (85 FR 38532, 6/26/20)
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
8 CFR Parts 208 and 274a
[CIS No. 2648–19; DHS Docket No. USCIS– 2019–0011]
Asylum Application, Interview, and Employment Authorization for Applicants
AGENCY: Department of Homeland Security.
ACTION: Final rule.
- District Court Preliminarily Enjoins Certain Provisions of New DHS Asylum EAD Rules (Casa de Maryland, Inc., et al. v. Wolf, et al., 9/11/20)
- White House Releases Presidential Memo with Changes to How the U.S. Handles Asylum Seekers – April 29, 2019
- USCIS Press Release: USCIS Rule Strengthens Employment Eligibility Requirements for Asylum Seekers – June 22, 2020
- DHS Proposed Rule on Employment Authorization for Asylum Applicants (84 FR 62374, 11/14/19)
- USCIS Final Rule Removing 30-Day Processing Provision for EADs for Asylum Applicants (85 FR 37502, 6/22/20)